Tuesday, November 10, 2009

On the Advantages of Having One Leg

My title is borrowed from a short essay by G. K. Chesterton, written after he injured an ankle - a humorous piece in which he finds the virtues in his situation. To quote the last paragraph:

All pessimism has a secret optimism for its object. All surrender
of life, all denial of pleasure, all darkness, all austerity,
all desolation has for its real aim this separation of something
so that it may be poignantly and perfectly enjoyed. I feel
grateful for the slight sprain which has introduced this mysterious
and fascinating division between one of my feet and the other.
The way to love anything is to realise that it might be lost.
In one of my feet I can feel how strong and splendid a foot is;
in the other I can realise how very much otherwise it might
have been. The moral of the thing is wholly exhilarating.
This world and all our powers in it are far more awful and
beautiful than even we know until some accident reminds us.
If you wish to perceive that limitless felicity, limit yourself
if only for a moment. If you wish to realise how fearfully
and wonderfully God's image is made, stand on one leg.
If you want to realise the splendid vision of all visible things--
wink the other eye.
So too I've been pondering the advantages of being single (albeit widowed and with two children), in a similar spirit.

1. When the boys are in bed I can listen to as much Beethoven or Shostakovich as I like.

2. Chocolate left in the refrigerator will probably still be there when I come back next time.

3. The house is as tidy at the end of the day as it was at the start.

4. It's easier to keep track of upcoming events etc, because I know it's all up to me and there's only one diary that matters. With Jen, there was always a sense that perhaps the other person might be taking care of that, and sometimes of course nothing would happen at all. Similarly, I'm keeping on top of the washing much better than we did together, because I know it's all up to me.

5. I can make most decisions without having to consult anyone, other than the boys where they are affected. This is not always an advantage, and in fact it is taking me quite a while to adjust to it.

6. I can stay up until ridiculous hours (and I do), and no-one tells me not to. This is another dubious advantage.

7. I appreciate Jen's contribution to all of our lives much more than I ever did before, because I miss her every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment