One of my public resolutions for 2010 is to run at least 1000 km in training. To non-runners, that sounds outrageous. But regular runners will immediately see that it amounts to only 20km/week (on average), which is barely at a maintenance level for distance running. In each of the past four years, I've run between 1000 and 2000 km over the year. At the start of 2008, while training for the Oxfam Trailwalker, I ran 1100 km by the beginning of April.
So what's the point in setting such a goal? The obvious difference this year is that without Jen around, I can't manage long runs on a weekend. In the old days when I was training for long events, I'd build up to a 3 hour run on a weekend afternoon - but that assumed Jen was there holding the fort and cooking dinner. A couple of times this year Secundus has ridden his bike alongside my running, which has been OK for 10km, but wouldn't work for 30km. So I'm restricted to running at lunchtime during the week from work, and the odd weekend run, which means that I won't be able to tackle races beyond 15-20km (half marathon is 21.1 km) for the foreseeable future.
But as I blogged a while ago, my perspective on running has shifted. I am much less worried about peak performance in an event, and much more focused on the long-term benefits of regular exercise. If anything, events are merely a means to maintain motivation to train. I'm contemplating entering the "Run for Kids" on March 14th, and the three of us are very probably entering the Mother's Day Classic this year (May 9th). Aside from the real enjoyment I derive from running and being fit, I want to give myself every chance of being around until the boys are older than I am now, until perhaps I'm a grandfather. Jen was particularly sad that she'd never get to be a grandmother, and she would have been very good in that role. So in that respect I carry the flame for her, and I do indeed set my eyes on a goal as I run.
Am I making progress? I've run about 198km after 60 days, so I'm about a week or so ahead of the nominal target (3km/day would be 1100 km/year). It's just a step towards the long goal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment